Friday, November 21, 2008

Critique on the negative effects of rap


The first video is on how children do as they see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZscS775ek8



The second video is on the effects of rap music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shGzK4EoWK4



Even though the first video does not directly link to the effects of rap music, it has a great point to it and does a great job with the visuals. This video shows children copying everything that adults or their parents do. Weather it be smoking, yelling, anger, or any of the other examples, its a great point. I think what makes this video highly effective is the visual part it amazing the way it captures your attention and makes you realize that kids do actually do what older people do. They try and copy the older people to pretend that they are older. I feel like this links to my topic about the effects of rap music on children because kids are always hearing rap music and watching their music videos, and we all know what rap music videos portray and represents. So some kids might see these music videos and start acting like the men or women that are in them. Overall i found this video highly effective and very captivating.



The second music video was directly on the effects of rap music on children. This was really the only video directly completely toward my topic. It was obviously home-made by an amatuer in video editing. While it does proove good points and cite good examples visually, I felt that it was poorly made and could have been more powerful. The reason I say this is because its points were good, but the corny red captions looked cheesy. If I am correct, there was also Limp Bizkit as the background music, which I don't see how that fits in, but thats besides the point. I did however find it successful when they showed the famous rapper The Game, being taken away in a cop car on video. I found that this video was overall not very successful because it was not put together well and i just lost interest as i was watching it. If the creater would have spent some more time and changed some of the things up such as music and captions, it could have been great.

Last comes the ad that I created in Photoshop. I searched the web for awhile and could not find any completely relevant ads to my topic, so I decided to just create one. I felt like the large parental advisory warning right smack in the middle of the ad would gain the readers attention right away. Also I when writing an ad the less words you use, the more likely the reader is going to understand or even look at it. So I feel as if the two short phrases I used would be sucessful as well. The only part I feel that might not be successful is the background. I say this because it consists of many things such as needles, drugs, alcohol bottles, cigarrettes, and other things children might see or hear in rap music, but it might be a little confusing due to the way it is layed out. Otherwise I feel like this ad would be very successful in a capaign for parents to be aware and monitor what their children are listening and watching.

No comments: