Tuesday, November 25, 2008


The picture that I found as my visual argument accomplishes the overall goal. Within my personal argument, something that always made me think more deeply about abortion is the fact that supporters of pro-life are mostly all men, who will never have the experience of being pregnant. This particular picture is strong in it’s own because it puts out direct facts and is relatable for any women who is a believer in pro-choice.
The faces of the men in the picture are not fully shown, but the expressions also help the mood the facts are trying to portray. The placement of the words and the colors really drew me into the picture because it highlights the facts and true meaning of what my argument expresses.
When I first saw this picture, it made me think of who created it. Though I do not now who the actual creator is, the picture itself displays a certain type of personality. I think the person who created this ad was a woman, solely because of how the ad hits an emotional spot for woman when looking at it. The overall reason why I liked this picture was because of the way it shows my argument, and how when looking at it, the mood is strikes emotions in me but also is strong and yet simple.
The argument itself is also strong but simple. I feel that the argument has been overlooked by some when mentioned by politicians. Politicians have made pro-choice and Pro-life arguments, but most politicians happen to be men. The idea that a man is the person who could possibly make the decision for a woman just isn’t right. People often discuss abortion rights and laws and forget that men have been deciding the ways, and could possibly eliminate it. This picture captures the personality of a white male politician who would ultimately be a deciding factor is some of the abortion laws if they were in power.
This picture would be overall more effective to show to women, because of the emotional ties and straight forwardness when addressing the idea that a male could tell a woman that she could not have an abortion. Though the safety and privacy law is very important to my argument and personal beliefs, the gender in the deciding factor is where my pro choice argument starts. The gender in the deciding factor is the shell to my argument in terms of it being one large part with many smaller details inside it.
This picture evoked many feelings when I first looked at it, but it is overall effective. I think it hits a simple obvious point, and displays a certain mood that makes the pro choice side much stronger. When I look at this picture, I see it as if it’s almost like the pro life males being held back by the red facts. They are shut down and powerless by women’s rights.

1 comment:

iNs1d3tRiP said...

I agree that the ad is effective but for reasons completely different from it being a good argument. I think the reasons why it is a good visual argument is exactly what you say; it hits an emotional spot. Not showing the faces, as you mention, doesn't allow you to see those men as actual individuals (since we naturally recognize individuality by facial features) and instead as just the faceless upper class white male oppressing the underprivileged.

However, the argument is only effective in that regard. When examined rationally it says, "77% of anti-abortion LEADERS are men"(bold and caps for emphasis). Just because 77% of leaders are men says ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about what the majority gender is among the anti-abortion movement. I don't know the statistics about the movement are (and do not know where I would go to find that information), but it is interesting that they say 77% of leaders and not 77% of the anti-abortion movement in general. It is very possible (and can actually be backed up statistically) that men hold more leadership positions than women, which is an entirely different feminist debate all together. The problem is that since men statistically hold more leadership positions this sort of statistic would be expected. By wording it this way they are being honest but it weakens the argument immensely, and once scrutinized it seems that the ad is attempting to be misleading.

Either way, the "form" or the visual impact is done very well, as you give a brilliant explication. However, the actual argument doesn't hold up well under actual scrutiny.